Re: Topband: The East Coast Advantage

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The East Coast Advantage
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:08:29 -0400
Jim Brown wrote:
> Now that computing power makes it easy, it's long past time for contest rules
> to be changed to level the geographical playing field. The Boring Amateur
> Radio Club has shown one simple and effective way to do that with their Stew
> Perry event. It's time for CQ and ARRL to follow their lead.

Right on Jim!

And I don't mind the 2:1 advantage of VY1ZM who for propagation purposes
is located in Western Europe!  But  my complaint is that when rules are
skewed so you can never have a chance no matter how hard you try is just
plain wrong and begs correction.

Here is one example:

The ARRL 160 meter contest rulers arbitrarily place, for the purpose of
this contest only, all U.S. Territories as non-DX entities forcing
competition with mainland big and little  guns.  The rules IMHO should
have followed the ARRL DX listings at a minimum to make any reasonable
sense, but no, someone got the idea in setting this up that what is DX
most of the time is not DX some of the time.  Stations in the U.S.
Territories (all of them) including Samoa, Swains, Kure, Guam, Midway,
etc. are deemed not DX during this contest....yet if you work them they
count for DXCC.  This contest structure seems to be typical HQ arrogance
of we know whats best for you all and the actual operators should take
what we hand out and not complain. I've been told that HQ wanted a
version of SS for 160 meters.  If that is so why the DX inclusion at
all.  If DX is included then it *is* a DX contest, right? And thus it
should not be designed to discriminate against DX who happen to be under
the U.S. flag.  Just does not seem to be fair nor patriotic if that
makes a difference.

Yet, in direct contrast, look at the awesome attraction and overnight
success of the Stew  put together by a few dedicated and never Boring
top banders out west.  Their construction was always open looking
outward to the participants to fine tune an already fine event.

I hope changes are coming but Isort of doubt it.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ