Re: Topband: What's best (your opinion)

To: "Petr Ourednik" <indians@xsmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>,"Dave Blaschke" <w5un@wt.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: What's best (your opinion)
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:34:30 -0500
Just would like to ask You Tom, if You already tested for that also the
FT-990 and K2 and which results You found?

hi Petr,

I've measured several radios including the FT990 early K2 but the information is buried in piles of things I never have time to get to.

If you look at the FT1000MP MKV page there is a schematic and description of the design error in the noise blanker circuit. Many different models repeat that error because the noise blanker is copied from one radio to another without ever fixing the problem that could be fixed at zero expense!!

http://www.w8ji.com/ft1000mk_v.htm

It is a bad practice to leave an unused semiconductor turned on with high gain and connected to a critical point in a circuit when it is not needed at all, and this repeats in many radios where they copied the noise blanker from one to the other.

If that is the case, all one needs to do is turn off or disconnect the offending semiconductor.

Let me tell you about an experience with the K2 I tested. The early K2 I measured had no sensitivity improvement at all on 160 meters when the preamp was turned on. The gain increased, but the weakest signal it could hear did not improve. With one single email to Elecraft they looked and found the problem, and within days corrected it in all radios. That almost NEVER happens today, and people should know that about Elecraft. It is quite a contrast from others.

A better list of radios and how they test is at Sherwood Engineering

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

73 Tom