Re: Topband: What's best (your opinion)

To: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>, topband@contesting.com,"Dave Blaschke" <w5un@wt.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: What's best (your opinion)
From: "Petr Ourednik" <indians@xsmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:26:06 +0100
> Now, wait a minute --- we ARE talking about 160-meters, THE GENTLEMAN'S
> band, right...?
>
> What true gentleman, in good conscience, would proceed to honk out a CQ a
> mere 300-Hz from an (obviously) occupied frequency?

Eddy and others,

unfortunatelly the years of "Gentleman's band" are already gone in my
oppinion...

I am working on the Topband since 1988 when I started as OL1BVR novice
op. over there. As I remember the "eightees" was really years of
Gentleman's band. Great friendships, many QSOs not finished only by 73,
cuagn...but continued in the letters exchanged for long time after first
QSO on the air. I remember that I never had any pb with big guns, nobody
started CQ on QRG w/o checking the freq. a lot and asking carefully if
its in use or not etc.

I do not know the real reasons but the behaviour on the todays 160m band
is extremly strange. Lot of people trying to hunt DXs using big power
but their experiences with the operation rules, gentlemen agreement,
tricks, DX windows are on minimum level. How many of us remember the
situation when somebody called CQ on freq. and when John, ON4UN, SM5EDX
or some of the other famous DXers like HB9AMO said hr DX...op. continued
CQ ? Wow, guys...
I remember that in the CQ WW mni of stations in run mode asked several
times 1ZZ? or MFO? etc. during the band openning to US. Everybody who is
interested in Topband know Jack, VE1ZZ or Don, K8MFO etc. isn't it?

So in my oppinion still better and better receivers will be needed :( or
I am not right? I will be very happy if not...

73, Petr OK1RP

--
Petr Ourednik
indians@xsmail.com