Re: Topband: What's best (your opinion)

To: "Dave Blaschke" <w5un@wt.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: What's best (your opinion)
From: "John Kaufmann" <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:38:29 -0500
> I am on 1.823.5 calling CQ and working stations. A station shows up
> at 1.823.8 and another at 1.823.2, both with S9+20 db signals, and
> calling CQ. What current radio, and with which roofing filter(s) can
> handle this situation best?

For a stock, unmodified radio, the Ten-Tec Orion with its narrow roofing
filters is probably best IMHO.  Many people have issues with the Orion's
user interface (not very intuitive), so it's not the best solution for
everybody.  However, most of the time the real limitation is not your
receiver.  It's the purity of the other guy's transmit signal.  The best
receiver in the world will not remove somebody else's clicks, phase noise,
or spurs.  Until we clean up all the dirty signals out there, the best
receivers today are probably as good as they need to be.

73, John W1FV