Topband: What's best (your opinion)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: What's best (your opinion)
From: Dave Blaschke <w5un@wt.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:26:41 +0000
OK let me ask a question of you top band (or any band) operators and
contesters:

I am on 1.823.5 calling CQ and working stations. A station shows up
at 1.823.8 and another at 1.823.2, both with S9+20 db signals, and
calling CQ. What current radio, and with which roofing filter(s) can
handle this situation best?

Now, I realize that I am going to get some subjective opinions, but
this is fine. I just want ot get a feel for what is working now-a-days

  I currently use a FT1000D with 4 kHz INRAD roofing filter, together
with 250, 500, and 2000 Hz filters. But I have no idea how this
compares with some of the more modern radios under the above stated
operating conditions.

Dave, W5UN