Re: Topband: SDR-1000 IMD-DR, blocking dynamic range, IP3,and IP2 measur

To: "Robert McGwier" <rwmcgwier@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: SDR-1000 IMD-DR, blocking dynamic range, IP3,and IP2 measurements
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 03:01:27 -0800
From: "Robert McGwier" <rwmcgwier@gmail.com>

> The big difference between this receiver and any other receiver I have
> EVER measured is that these same numbers are true at 20 kHz,  5 kHz,
> 1KHz, and lower.   If I can find a fault with the SDR-1000, even given

> no axe to grind here outside of the truth.  On the Orion II,  there is
> no way it has the same performance as the SDR-1000 inside a few kHz.  At
> 500 Hz, even with the roofing filter kicked in,  the SDR-1000
> significantly outdistances the Orion because of the insertion loss of
> whatever it is Orion has done in that particular setting. > N4HY

If what you say about the real close in performance is true, Bob
(and I have no reason to believe its not), I am surprised that nobody
has tried using the SDR-1000 as the IF of a superhetrodyne receiver
with tight filters and high intercept point mixers. Seems like that has
the possibility of yielding a receiver that is a notch above even the
Orion (the sub-receiver could be a standard direction conversion
architecture like the SDR-1000 for supplying general coverage and
the pan-adapter function).