Re: Topband: TopBand Beacons

To: "Greg - ZL3IX" <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TopBand Beacons
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:30:26 -0500
> I'm surprised that beacons in the US have to be attended.
If this is so,
> how does W6WX get away with it, or are the rules for 160m
different?

Greg,

Our beacon rules are covered in 97.203

Roughly we can have automatic control of beacons only in
narrow areas of 10 meters and higher.
The FCC does on rare occasion grant wavers if there is good
reason.

I supect many temporary beacons are operated illegally. The
operator has to be right there next to the beacon
transmitter and in control, or have a rare special
authorization to use automatic control, or operating in a
narrow range of ten meters for HF transmissions.

73 Tom