Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:23:48 +0000
W7IUV said:

>If two guys want to make a QSO that's mostly via the
>Internet that's their business, no one else. In fact
>no one else has the right or the privilege to even
>comment on the validity of that contact. Period.

Right - so please tell me, do you think it okay to fire up on top
of CW stations already in QSO with SSB calling "QRZ?" to
either get them to switch modes (at best - or worst, prevent
the QSO from happening)?

Is it okay to plunk down in the middle of something like a
"DX Window" as non-DX & then sit there working non-DX
or CQing for long periods of time with no takers?

My guess is that you would agree with me that these are two
somewhat undesirable behaviors.

Well, wrong - they are also perfectly acceptable international
practice according to Hong Kong's telecom authority.

Not sure which is worse - the PLA operating from inside VR2
on 3550 kc & wiping out most of entire band with 160m
Dragon-like rubbish - or how "give way" signs mean either "you
must stop" or "the other guy has to give way to you even though
you are the one entering the roundabout".

Either way, the similarity with how behavior on our roads has
deteriorated is rather disconcerting.

Or am I totally clueless about operating an amateur radio station
as I apparently am in operating a motor car?

73, VR2BrettGraham