Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"
From: "Kevin Nathan" <k7rx@comcast.net>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:37:05 -0500
Hi All,

There is another angle to all of this that I would like to call to
your attention.  I am totally blind and all the water fall displays
in the world are of no assistance.  <GRIN>  The one thing about
having to actually hear a call and exchange reports is that it is the
great equalizer between all of us.  I use a modest station on a city
lot with no room for a big antenna farm.  I have learned that
cranking down the RF gain on the receiver and other tricks will help
me pull out the weak one.  I also know that I am not one of the power
house stations they will hear in Europe from the Seattle metro
area.  But, when I worked SM4CAN a few weeks back for my first QSO
into continental Eu, it was a thrill I will never forget.  I hope to
duplicate it this winter but the fun is still there.  Having to
actually copy the CW and exchange information is what puts us all on
the same plain and allows persons like myself to enjoy the hobby as
much as the guy with full vision.

Yes, I use spots others put on the cluster, it helps locate the
signals amongst the noise and crap on the band and is a lot of fun to
know what everyone else is hearing and to know if I can hear it
too.  But, I still have to make the exchange.  I pray this final
equalizing point will always remain sacred to us.

Take care one and all and very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX