Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:07:09 -0500
> K1ZM wrote:
>  >If modern technology can serve a purpose to HELP one
take place - than I
> have actually no guilt-trips or feelings of impropriety
whatsoever.

W4ZV replied:
>          I agree with much of what Jeff says, but I do
draw one line that
> I personally will not cross.  I must actually ***hear*** a
call and a
> report before I call it a QSO.

Unfortunately Bill the tendency to establish our success or
self worth based on how we compare to others has resulted in
a large amount of just what you (and I) don't consider a
QSO. Non-QSO's always existed. Once you know the callsign
via the cluster or chat, it's pretty easy to fill in the
blanks. DX'ing is as bad as taking a multiple-choice CW
test. Neither one demonstrates proficiency. It's 100% sure
to get the callsign with chats and packets.  It's like
bragging about passing the 5WPM multiple choice extra CW
test.

Extra test today= less skill and effort of Novice in 70's
160 DXCC today= less skill and effort than WAS in 70's

I'm sure anyone with a quiet location and good antennas
hears the same thing I hear. Many times DX QSO's are made
where the two stations very obviously cannot copy each
other. It's not uncommon to hear stations responding to
other stations who are also calling the DX and this
occasionally results in the station thinking it was a "QSO".

I'm not impressed with any QSO that was rooted in a packet
spot or chat room "can you hear me now" exchange. I don't
care who it is or what distance it is. There is that very
strong doubt that it was never a real QSO. I've heard (and
recorded) both sides of some of those exchanges rooted in
packet or chat rooms.... and they often don't sound like
real QSO's that could have been made without a cluster or
chat.

If it can't be made without Internet setting it up real
time, what the heck are we bragging about?

Clusters and chat drove the final wooden stake in the heart
of "aren't you proud or envious of me working xxx". IMO, if
it was on a cluster or rooted in a chat room, the answer is
no...I'm not. I'd bet most people aren't.

73 Tom