Re: Topband: 160 AM BCB filter

To: "W0UN -- John Brosnahan" <shr@swtexas.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 AM BCB filter
From: "Henry Pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:52:01 -0700
FWIW - I spent a few minutes looking at the filter and with 4 inductors I
could see in the picture - leading to a 9 th order Elliptic Cauer- Chebyshev
equal termination filter with ripple set to 0.03 db , min atten in stop band
of 40 db , and cutoff freq of 1.78 mhz  the highest zero is at 1.6997 mhz
(to kill 1.7 as he said ) . You can play between the cutoff freq and pass
band ripple and tweak the rejection zeros a bit which he apparently did to
kill the 1700 station -

with capacitor Q's of 1000 and inductor Q's of  300 - the filter loss at 1.8
is 0.82 db and at 2 is 0.23 db ( with "perfect elements " the losses are
0.026 and 0.02 db respectively)   - the loss gets progressively lower and
lower as you go up in the passband -- the return loss is better than 22.5 db
across from 1.8 to 28 mhz  - and the element  values are reasonable - cap
values from 7906 to 8176 pfd and inductors from 3.7 to 11 uhy .  So its
quite realizable. Loss at 1.8 might be a little high but you could lower the
pass band loss significantly if Fc was not set so close to 1.8 mhz (like 1.6
or so).

 Hank K7HP