Re: Topband: 160 AM BCB filter

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 AM BCB filter
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:18:20 -0500
At 09:00 PM 8/20/2005, Barry Gross wrote:
>On 8/21/05, Jim McDonald <jim@n7us.net> wrote:
>
> > I haven't tried it but W3NQN also has a receive-only, BCB high-pass filter
> > with better specs.
>
>A good comparison showing the superiority of the AM Brick Wall filter
>over the NQN filter for this application was included on the web page
>originally cited by W0UN.
>
>73,
>Barry N1EU

Barry,

I THINK that the NQN filter in the referenced info was for the 100
watt BANDPASS
one that was part of the six-band set in QST and available from Array
Solutions.

But NQN also had a HIGHPASS filter that was RX only with much better
low-end roll off.  Just don't think it was this good, because I believe it was
designed before the addition of the extended AM band up to 1700 KHz.

Just need to dig out the design specs for the NQN RX only HP filter and
compare them.

So far I have not heard back from Jim, WB5WPA.

--John  W0UN