Re: [TenTec] New Orion Firmware

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Orion Firmware
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:38:40 +0000
I just returned from Dayton carrying my second Orion, which I am delighted to report journeyed well. This morning I downloaded 1.37 and performed the update on my original Orion which was delivered here just before Xmas. So far I have a few observations:

I am pleased to note that the T/R timing adjustments have had a very benefitial effect on the quality of CW produced at relatively high speed. By ear, keying at 40wpm now sounds well timed and no longer noticeably truncated. I haven't done any scope measurement but it looks like a good job has been done in removing the ~8mS clipping, which was very evident before.

I am less happy about the effect of the double rate RIT FAST tuning. Using the RIT set to Fast on CW now sounds like the control is a very "dirty pot". Actually, the steppy tuning problem which previously affected the main tuning dial is now very noticeable on RIT adjustments. Hopefully Ten Tec will be able to do as good a job in fixing this as they did when the main tuning suffered this problem.

I have tried the CW MOX setting and I can't fathom it at all. This just does not seem to work. If I set "PTT in CW as MOX" in the menu then the rig continues to work in QSK! Not only that but the only effect of grounding the PTT line is that RX audio is muted. The RX itself is not muted and the S-meter continues to register received signals. Pressing the VOX button to ON has the same effect, merely muting RX audio. I have wondered if maybe something had gone wrong with the flash update. I did it again and then did a master reset but all to no avail. As a double check I next flash updated the second Orion just brought back from Dayton. This behaves identically to the first. Have I overlooked something or is this feature merely a jape to exasperate contesters?

73 Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F