RE: [RTTY] Distortion

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Distortion
From: "Don Inbody (AD0K)" <ad0k@inbody.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:51:06 -0500
I am glad someone has brought this up.

A common problem I have noted is a spike about 1.4 kHz below the mark
frequency.  This is very common on signals.  I cannot say they are
distorted, but wonder about the cause.  I have asked many times about the
quality of my signal and I always get "great", but when pulsed, it appears
that if they can get 100 pct copy they assume the signal is perfect.

So, perhaps someone can help me on the typical source of the 1.4 kHz spike.
I have always assumed it was due to overdriving the audio in AFSK, but that
is only an assumption.

Don/AD0K
Buda, TX