Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX CW -- disappointing experience

To: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX CW -- disappointing experience
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 08:43:43 -0600

On many occasions during ARRLDXCW I was using my FT1000MP with a PAIR of 250khz filters and then adding the Notch filter (manually tuning back and forth), IPO and shift/width (manually tuning back and forth) and Clarifier (RIT) manually tuning back and forth and NOTHING helped pick out any callsign. Sometimes for even as long as 1 minute I could not pull out a single callsign out of mass of endless callers. I have even resorted to listening to the beats created by two stations with same signal strength on the same freq. calling at the same time at DIFFERENT SPEEDS, and then using that to discern a callsign while not actually ever the signal itself.

The massive pileup was one thing, but the ENDLESS calling of stations that I had NOT called is something quite different - it was noticeably worse in this contest than any before and the trend has been getting steadily worse since a few years ago.

Typical was when I came back with a FULL call:

G8XYV 599CT and what I heard was:

UA3ABC
IK8ZZZ
RU1AAA and several others calling

2nd try I again sent:
G8XYV 599CT and what I heard was

UA3ABC
IK8ZZZ
DL8XYZ

3rd try I again sent:
G8XYV 599CT and what I heard was

IK8ZZZ
DL8XYZ

4th try I again sent:
G8XYV 599CT and what I heard was

IK8ZZZ and G8XYV (miraculously he was still calling me although sometimes a station would have left by now)

and I finally logged the qso on the 4th or 5th try if someone impatient on the freq. didn't start transmitting QRL? QRZ? or dumping their callsign in and wiping out G8XYV, or some lid started cqing on top of us.

It was that out of control for many hours on Saturday and again on Sunday, turning 250+ hours in 180 hours and wasting everyone's time NEEDLESSLY.

Frankly, it is MADDENING!

Yes, I would much rather have this than a dead band, but why does it need to happen at all? Occasional op mistakes are one thing; when sleep-deprived we all are unintentional lids at times, but THIS is an operating pattern that is spreading and accelerating rapidly. It is just plain inconsiderate and DUMB to operate like this - the triumph of entitlement, impatience and spite (if I can't work him then NO ONE will work him!) over patience and the pride in demonstrating good operating skills.

Morse Runner does not help with that and all the filtering does not help with that.

If you are an offender then you are not likely reading this post on the CQ-Contest reflector, but if you are reading it, PLEASE KNOCK IT OFF! PLEASE LISTEN before you transmit and PLEASE CONTROL YOURSELF! Keep your impatience and whatever else you are feeling in check and operate with some courtesy and good skills and make the contest a more pleasant experience for yourself and everyone else. If ops behave better then maybe in the next pileup you are calling in, YOU will get through that much FASTER?!!

Here's to GREAT conditions and BETTER operating!

73

Bob, KQ2M