[CQ-Contest] Loss of Confidence

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Loss of Confidence
From: Kevan Nason <knason00@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 13:44:57 -0500
I'm a stickler for rules too. If I was a Contest Manager I'd caution and
then potentially disqualify folks for not following the rules -- regardless
of how much sense they made. But I'm not so I don't fret over it. I just
log the Q without worrying about not receiving a 5NN or having heard their
call during my particular Q (assuming I heard them send their call at least
once).

I like K3TN's "The Contesting Aaargh! FAQ" and reread it every few years.
It addresses this particular topic quite well.

   - *Why does everyone send 599 or 59 in contests that require RST? *Because
   it is easier. If you would like to send something else, feel free but no
   one really cares if you do.
   - *If a station in a contest has key clicks, bad audio, doesn’t identify
   frequently enough, gets too close to my run frequency, or in general just
   does something to really annoy me, is it OK for me to work him but not log
   the QSO, thus costing him a 2 QSO NIL penalty?* That would be pretty
   childish. You always have a choice whether to work someone or not, but what
   you work should go in your log. Doug KR2Q has the best quote on this topic:
   “This is supposed to be a fun hobby and contesting is supposed to be fun.
   We all can get frustrated when doing anything in life; but getting
   vindictive? Life is too short for "getting even" and "punishment." Nothing
   in our life is 100% to our liking. Never dwell on it. Just move on. This
   stuff JUST DOES NOT MATTER THAT MUCH.”

Kevan N4XL