Re: [CQ-Contest] Loss of Confidence

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Loss of Confidence
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:57:45 -0400
Hey Hans,

Nice writeup in NCJ.

I barely do any RTTY so I don’t know who the culprits you’re referring to were
however I suspect most offenders

who’ve left out the RST have just programmed their F-key messages incorrectly.
If you’re willing to help, please email them directly and let them know
privately that what they are doing is not in accordance to the rules.

If these are indeed “Top 10” guys, I  call “shame on them” and they should
really know better.(and maybe they do-keep reading)

It’s mathematical.  (I bet they aren’t nefarious)_but if they are “Top 10”
guys, then they’ve likely done the math already and figured out that for, let’s
say, 2000 QSO’s, they can shave maybe 2.5 seconds off each QSO.

My abacus tells me 2000 Q’s x 2.5 seconds equals 5000 seconds saved during an
entire contests’ duration.

That 5000 seconds (1.38 hours? – is that right) can be time used making other
QSO’s whereby their competition

is still sending their proper 599’s.

Look at 3830scores.com (or official results from WAE RTTY the last few years)
and tell us if these are actual winners (in which case it makes a big
difference) or whether (more likely) these were casual participants maybe not
knowing any better.

Let’s hope it’s the latter.

Mike VE9AA

--------------------------------

During the WAE RTTY test this past weekend I came across a small handful of

stations which did not include a signal report (RST) in the report.  Two of the

stations were well known USA "competitors" who were on the air all weekend long.

Below is an exchange of emails with the contest manager who seems not concerned

about my inquiry.  His attitude seems to be "it happens all the time so we let

it slide".

73, de Hans, K0HB

_____________​​​​​​______________________

Hi Hans,

thanks for participating in this years WAE-RTTY and your activity. Yes, you are

right. 599 (or 59 in SSB) is a pure formality. And (especially in CW) we see

strange abbrevations for the reports which do not fit with the rules of most

contests. But with the time, contest managers from all over the world accept

this on their contests. And for the WAE-RTTY we do so as well. But you are

right, may be it is time, to align the contest rules for the RTTY- and

CW-contests.

Thanks for your input and your comments. And hope to meet you in one the next

events (may be CQWW-CW).

/signature/

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB