Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Scoring Question

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Scoring Question
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 11:11:01 -0300
WRTC is not "exactly" about being 100% fair to compete for a TL spot. I
mean, they try but.

If it were completely fair there would be handicap points(?) against folks
with humongous stations

or super rare dx prefixes.

If you have 1 or 2 Superstations in your qualification selection area ,
without a lot of money to travel 12-15 times away from home, then you are
severely limited in what you can do to qualify.

(Oh, this is not a complaint.  I think I am just stating the
obvious-elephant in the room type stuff)

VE9AA

That may seem so but in W2 competing with W1 seems lopsided.

For example someone competing in central NJ with coastal Maine will have

two vastly different propagation conditions. We are talking strong morning

band openings 2-3 hours earlier in W1 Maine compared to W2.

Unless you have a superstation like RHR summit which is on the same

latitude as W1 then you stand a chance. If not, forget it.

I mean if you're going to just select the best of the best of the best

(with honors) in that whole encompassing W1-W3 region maybe just forget the

whole selection process and just pick all the big guns from W1.

Ria

N2RJ

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB