Re: [CQ-Contest] Looking up on QRZ.com

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Looking up on QRZ.com
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 10:58:07 -0700

A call history file comprised of the combination of the prior logs of many other contesters (which is readily available and used by many) is exactly that, though.  Lots of folks excuse it by saying that it isn't 100% reliable and that you still have to be able to verify the info ... but if it didn't provide actual help people wouldn't use it, and just because an attempt to cheat isn't 100% successful it doesn't mean it wasn't an attempt to cheat.

Now before anyone gets all bent out of shape by my terminology, I will have to say that every contest sponsor clearly knows that call history files are being used and to my knowledge none (at least of the majors) have ever come out against it.  That makes them tacitly approved in spite of the wording of their rules, and is therefore not actually cheating.

But I still don't like it and I still don't use one ... not even one comprised strictly of my own prior logs.

73,
Dave   AB7E