Re: [CQ-Contest] Looking up on QRZ.com

To: Doug Bates <kv4zy.1@gmail.com>, Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Looking up on QRZ.com
From: Ed W0YK <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 19:17:46 -0700
qrz.com provides name, location and lots of other data that would possibly
reveal exchange information, depending on contest.  That breaks the rules.SCP
only provides a list of possible calls based on what is typed into the call
sign field.73,Ed W0YK
-------- Original message --------From: Doug Bates <kv4zy.1@gmail.com> Date:
6/2/23  18:57  (GMT-08:00) To: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com> Cc: CQ-Contest
Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Looking up on
QRZ.com Art,I don't claim to know all, but it strikes me as strange that a
callsignlookup on any database could be against any rules. The nearest thing I
canthink of that may be anywhere near related in the rules of some contests
isforbidding "Assisted" where contesters follow a cluster to find contactsthat
are currently reported as being on. Callsign lookup does not seem tome to be
anywhere close to using a cluster to find contacts. But what do Iknow:)73 & God
BlessDe KV4ZYOn Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 9:24 PM Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
wrote:> On the N1MM reflector somebody asked about how to use the "QRZ" button>
during the contest for calls that don't appear in the "check" window.  I> guess
he was talking about the SCP or CHF data files loaded into N1MM.>> A few people
commented that looking it up on QRZ.com (or some other online> database??)
during the contest was against the rules.>> I don't see any difference between
using an online databas and using SCP> and CHF (except that SCP/CHF is
faster).>> What do you wise people think?>> 73, art K3KU>