Re: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results.
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 11:35:34 -0700

I completely agree with your comments, although I think the "FT8 Kool-Aid" slam is unwarranted.

But as I have said before, it's not the mode (FT8 or FT4) that is the problem ... it's the fact that WSJT-X is a rigid and contest-unfriendly user interface.  The mode itself gives us great sensitivity and bandwidth usage, and FT4 is fundamentally fast enough for contest usage.  WSJT-X, on the other hand, is built around such a preset assumption for what a QSO should look like that any deviation due to propagation or operator error causes great amounts of confusion.

I think it should be entirely possible to wrap a proper UI around the core FT4 engine that still adheres to the fixed time windows required to achieve the desired performance, but has a more conventional, flexible message exchange format.  If the UI required the "meeting of the minds" you describe instead of reliance on the machine doing it for us I think we'd be far better off.

The mode isn't the problem ... the current user interface is.  I wish I was a programmer capable of building a proper contest UI around the existing open source FT4 engine, but I'm not.  Done properly, I think such a UI might look something like this:

1.  Adherence to fixed time frames that are required by the physics of the mode. 2.  Flexible message format that still has both send and receive callsigns (required because of the split frequency nature of the mode) but allows a more generalized report as long as it stays within the bit limit. 3.  Uses UDP to feed the exchange information to N1MM+, with N1MM+ handling the logging and scoring for different contests just as it does now for any other mode.  Think MMTTY for FT4.
4.  A better layout with better utilization of space.
5.  Allows function keys for various actions (such as Monitor pause, Transmit, Halt, Message selection, etc) instead of mouse clicks.

The problem is that I am not a programmer, so I think the mode is going to suffer unless and until somebody who is a programmer is willing to tackle the job (for which I'd be willing to contribute modest funds).  I am pretty certain that a contest UI for FT4 is not on K1JT's priority list, so I think it would have to come from somewhere else.

73,
Dave   AB7E