Re: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results.

To: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results.
From: Stan Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 13:28:19 -0500
Good thoughts, Tim. The thing is that it is not the computer that actually
decides whether or not to log the Q. If the other party sends 73, then the
computer will ask if you want to log it. In contests, that can be
automatic. But in the unsure situation, which is where all of the NILs crop
up, it is up to the operator. He can let the computer continually resend
his RR73 until it times out, he can manually click on another callsign to
call, or he can manually click on the "Log QSO" button. In any case, it is
the operator who makes the decision not to log the QSO. No QSOs are
automatically not logged. And the next action requires the operator to
manually select another callsign to call or send CQ. There is no chaining
of contacts.

The problem is that the operators have become so accustomed to the prompt
to log a QSO when 73 is sent that they think it is a requirement. It is
argued to death on FT8/FT4 forums on FB whether a QSO is complete without a
73. There are many who say that they will not enter a QSO into their logs
if there isn't a 73. It's their log and those are their rules. They cannot
be convinced otherwise.

Realistically, what can the software do differently? The software cannot
change the mindset of the operator. Should it be changed to log based on
the sending of "R"? If it were, the "73 gang" would protest.

How can we educate thee "73 Gang"? They aren't likely to be reading this
thread. How else can we reach them to educate them that other modes don't
require a 73, why must FT  be different?

Not an easy  problem. Good luck to the software developers of these modes
and the contest sponsors who must cope with NILs and other FT-related
issues.

73,
Stan Zawrotny, K4SBZ

Real radio bounces off the sky.