[CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results.
From: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 00:16:55 -0500
Hi Jim,

Back to the discussion, after a virtual glass of Ki-Suco, the Kool-Aid PY equivalent of my youth. LOL

K9YC wrote:

"I strongly disagree with setup instructions in the WSJT-X operator's guide. The audio level indicated by the green bar is the top of the A/D converter; if a strong signal -- say 40 dB over S9 -- takes over the AGC, causing any signal weaker than 10 dB over S9 to fall below the level of the decoder!

Far better to set the green bar so that, with the strongest signals it stays as close as practical to the top of it's dynamic range (75-80 dB) but NEVER turning Red. Now, signals 80 dB weaker than that 40 dB over S9 signal can be decoded. 40 dB is 8 S-units if you like 5 dB/S-unit, meaning you can decode an S2 signal, or almost 7 S-units if you like the 6 dB/S-unit, meaning you can decode a signal between S3 and S4."

I talked about that a long time ago, after empirically reaching the same conclusion. But since I was neither an expert nor a vigorous participant in anything, I was put in my place right away. That 'experience' was partly the reason I was so happy when I found out about JTDX. In addition to being a very good fork for the DX minded user, the exchange of ideas was more fluid in that 'camp'.

Incidentally, the JTDX developer has informed the beta testers a couple of weeks ago to set the audio to around 70 db for best decoding results.

JTDX does not support contesting. He was not going to support FT4 either, because the initial 'impression' was that it would not be enabled except in contest mode.

Anybody with experience using JS8Call? I wonder if it would be a better FT-x variation for contests. The developer seems very open to feedback. I played with it a little, but since it's geared to the ragchewer, I did not pursue it any further.

73 de Vince, VA3VF