Re: [Amps] Amp causing RFI

To: Amps Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp causing RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 17:58:52 -0800
On 2/4/2020 5:26 PM, Mark Schoonover wrote:
There can be two paths to ground. One from the back of your equipment to the station ground then back to house ground. The other path is from the ground in the outlet back to breaker box to house ground  then back to station ground. That creates a large loop depending on how much AC wiring involved.

Mark,

I strongly suggest that you study N0AX's ARRL book and/or my tutorial. What you are recommending is WRONG and UNSAFE. It is also illegal. Ward's book is excellent, probably costs $30-$50. My tutorial is free, covers the same material and recommends the same practices. We collaborated on his book. http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

 I use several of those three prong to two prong AC adapters to break the path in the AC ground leaving just one path to ground through station ground.

Again, that is unsafe and illegal.

All chassis grounds are connected to AC ground so electrical safety isn't compromised. Really cleaned up a lot of noise with my station.

If it solved a problem for you, your station has other bad grounding/bonding practices.

73, Jim K9YC