Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 14:52:48 -0500
Well, I was hoping that today was going to be35 degrees and partly sunny. Alas, it is still cloudy, no Sun, and temps are still below freezing, so I am not out of the woods yet as far as the ice on the antennas goes. Thursday and Friday promise to go above freezing, but we shall see.  So I missed a fun evening on 222 MHz, but it seems that there was plenty of activity. I was very pleased to see Good Buddy Buzz WA4GPM, show up in a 222 log. Buzz is just south of St Augustine in Florida. I also saw that K2AEP worked WA3NUF. I think that is a really good contact too.

Starting  on 12 February, PE1ITR will be in Aruba, P4, and will have 222 MHz gear. He has a bit over 100 watts and a decent 12 element yagi 16.5 dBi.  Just for grins, I set up an EME sked for his rising Moon on four days starting on 13 Feb.  We will use Q65B and see what happens. The Moon will be up about 10 degrees here when I start each morning.  It is a long shot, but I really do not know what the limits are with what is workable on 222 MHz via the Moon route. I have been surprised by numerous signals. They were quite loud. W5ZN took a single 16 el yagi and 300-400 watts to Oklahoma for my last state needed on 222 and it was a slam dunk easy contact. I have worked several single yagi stations on their rising moon and signals have been surprising. That was the reason for setting up this sked. A 100 watt brick and a single yagi is pretty simple to carry around.  500 watts would be much better, but I think 100 watts might actually make it. We shall see.

Hopefully I will be back on for next week, Feb 6th for another block buster 222 activity night. As far as I know the 222 Activity Committee has no prizes lined up for that night, but "we don't need no stinkin' prizes do we?"

73

Dave K1WHS