Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 10:44:45 -0500
Hello Good Buddy Ron and 222 fanatics

I was very happy to just be able to get on the air.  The storm really wound up as it moved into the Gulf of Maine and I was without AC power at the house until 9 AM this morning.  It is always unsettling when you look out the window and see a large 28-30 inch white pine snapped in half about 20 ft up off the ground.  When I lost my 144 MHz tower due to downed trees, I have been extremely worried about the other towers on the hill. Most of them are in the same boat. I removed some trees, but there are many more capable of wide spread destruction.  The water running off the hill was amazing on Monday during the height of the storm. The two wheel ruts at the base of the hill were a torrent of white water. There was also a tree down across the road. I walked up to the brand new culvert and I saw that it had gotten plugged with branches and leaf debris. So I started pulling out stuff to un clog things. While doing that I stepped back and caught on a stump and fell down. I did not realize it but my cell phone pouch was dislodged and my cell phone fell to the ground. My glasses were all fogged up and I continued work to unplug the culvert then went home. The cell phone stayed out in the rain over night.

The next day, I grabbed my chainsaw and walked up the hill and cut up the large tree trunks across the road. There were three of them. When I got up to the shack, all the towers were still in one piece, and the only casualty was one of my 222 MHz yagis is now pointing about 40 degrees off of boresight.  Of course it is on top of the H frame where you cannot reach it easily.  At the house, I dragged out my small inverter generator and powered the house while the AC lines were down. I am using a Yamaha 6300 watt inverter type. It is a low cost alternative to the big Honda unit that is the standard of the inverter type gensets. One thing I noticed was that all my streamlining of the electrical system has made life easier for the generator.  I have a mini split heating system for my shop building and a hybrid water heater to replace the electric water heater. All this allowed me to keep everything on while running off a 6000 watt generator. It will run the deep well pump, the hot water heater, the electric stove, freezer and even the electric oven. The XYL baked some banana bread while the power was out.

So I made it up the hill Tuesday night and used the damaged 222 array. It worked OK and I worked some of the guys worked by Ron. I missed W1AUV as he QRTed early I also missed N1LHP for some reason.  I did work W1GHZ  who did not appear on GB Ron's list . I tried FT8 and Q65 with K3SK, but nil heard in either direction. That is a 575 mile path and we have not had much luck with tropo. I think we have only worked one time on a Tuesday night, and we needed Q65 as I recall.  The folks who I worked all had good signals but lots of QSB here too. Signals could start off very weak and then peak up to S7 on SSB. N2SLO peaked at S7 on SSB  but at other times would be rough copy on SSB. It was that kind of a night for me.

 So now I have to figure out how to straighten the twisted yagi. It is simple with ratchet straps to move the H frame, but takes a lot of time as 1/2" LDF cabling has to be undone and eight sets of U-bolts need to be loosened, and it takes a long time.  The other method is to stand on the H frame and hope you can reach the nuts on the mtg plate. That is scary and dangerous.   I quit 222 MHz at 01:30 UT with about 15 QSOs,  and headed home to check on the generator and the XYL. She had no clue as to how and what to shut off.  I am hoping next week goes better than this time around.

Dave K1WHS