Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 22:43:03 -0500
That is quite a list, Ron.  I ended up with about 21 stations worked. When I started out, I was greeted by a rotator that would not turn. IT eventually started to move, but then I found that antenna performance was bad with very high VSWR and hundreds of watts reflected power. The entire array was iced up. A quick check showed that the fixed array had stronger signals than the rotating yagi antenna. That was a bad sign. The degradation was at least six dB. I am hoping that it is just ice on the elements of the antenna and not something that is broken. I will know more in daylight when I can get a look at things. One look at my feedlines, and they are all ice covered, so I am hoping the antenna works after it thaws out. I did manage to work AA2SD in FM29 on SSB and also N1ROZ in FN32, but signals were very weak. I heard WA1NLG with  good signals, but I do not think we ever made a contact. I quit at 01:30 UT or so. My new computer system was not working properly and required much fiddling. It woud lock up and transmit when I was trying to receive.  I was trying to share a COM port with two programs. It did not work well at all.  Back to the drawing boards.  With all the troubles, I never bothered to try with any DX stations. The high reflected power scared me. A big RF arc could take out relays and preamps. I retreated back home.

73

Dave K1WHS