Re: [VHFcontesting] Logging between various software programs

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Logging between various software programs
From: Alan Larson <wa6azp@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 17:00:13 -0700
Peter H writes:
> I log all contests on a ?yellow pad?. Filling in missing info on
subsequent
> transmissions & scratching out??incorrect info works great by not having
> to?stay?in computer?s tightly defined?software columns.  After contest, I
> look up exact column formatting for that particular contest in Cabrillo?
> ?cab b-4 ; then I use Microsoft ?Table? to enter the QSO info from
> my ?yellow pad? in order that cab b-4 shows me.  After Table is complete,
> I paste it into the Cabrillo cab b-4 url:

  Recently, I have been doing a similar approach.  Logging on a yellow pad,
entering it to a text file on the computer, then processing it into
Cabrillo with
a program I wrote some years ago.

Dave, K1WHS wrote:
> I hand copied almost all of my old paper logs and
> entered the prop mode as TRS and only later found out that all of those
> submitted files went into the bit bucket in Newington.? So I have to go
> back and modify all my entries from TRS to TR to make things work.
> Really, my life is too short to have to deal with these glaring software
> compatibility issues.

Seems annoying.  You can find the adif format spec at http://adif.org/adif
and it has a list of prop modes taken.  It seems an overly complex spec..
Even so, given that you are using .adi  or .adif files, it is a simple ed
command to replace all the <prop-mode:3>TRS  with <prop-mode:2>TR

I was disappointed to see internet assisted as a prop mode in the adif
spec -- why they didn't go all the way and include skype/zoom/slack and
telephone.  None of those counts as radio to me.

        Alan