Re: [VHFcontesting] Why are no VE1s on 222?

To: Paul N1BUG FN55mf <paul@n1bug.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why are no VE1s on 222?
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 09:43:51 -0400
Hi folks,

I realize that any action on a VHF band is now a labor of love and not a source of instant gratification. There is no getting around it. You cannot justify getting on any band based on the economics of it either.  Back a few years ago, old yagis were freely given away or hauled to the dump. Today a corroded and pitted 7 element 144 yagi will set you back $150. It is hard and I cringe every time I have to purchase anything.

Our bands are under constant attack. Political leaders are not going to listen to you or me. Their decisions are cash based and I see the writing on the wall for ham radio. If we are not using the bands they will be gobbled up whenever there is a buck to be made.  My approach is to try as hard as I can to justify the allocation.  That requires regular activity and, unfortunately, it demands that you put together a very good station so that you can be heard.  It also demands commitment. The only way to get noticed on 222 from the hinterlands is to have meteor scatter, aurora, or EME capability. I was discouraged with the lack of any activity on 222 MHz here, and decided to do something about it. It is not easy. During the big March aurora, I could have been having a ball on 50 MHz with my 1.5 KW amp and antenna, but I stayed on 222.100 CW calling CQ in hopes of attracting attention.  I only worked a few stations, but I did work some, and I heard N4PZ in Chicago very well. It was a bummer that we could not complete, but I did send in a report to the CQ and QST VHF editors so that maybe someone will get out of their comfort zone and try something a bit more difficult the next time.

W1GHZ has a nice 222 MHz transverter PC board available.  When he mentioned it to me, I decided that I would try to make one as I am a good candidate at 78 years of age and tremors in my right hand. Apparently Mouser has the parts list and ordering is a snap, plus I am learning the ins and outs of surface mount work. I hope to use my toaster oven to reflow the solder paste.  I have already built up 12 W6PQL surface mount directional couplers the old fashioned way with tweezers or toothpicks. It was a struggle with shaky hands, but I did succeed and I am proud that I never lost a part. A few flew off on the bench, but I found them!  I will report back when the transverter project is completed. WW1M is helping me with that project.

I checked the amplifier pallet status here and there are three 500 watt amp pallets and 11 of the 1500 watt units. It would be nice to plop a 1500 watt unit down in New Brunswick or PEI, or Nova Scotia. I started ripping apart the first of the 1500 watt units yesterday with some metal work and am hoping to have a bunch of them done by mid summer. They will go to homes where there is scant activity. VE1 and VE9 do qualify!!  I sure miss working Bernie, VE1UT, guys in FN95 on VHF.

Paul, I hope you get the upper hand with the exhaustion issues. I miss the big signal out of FN55!  K1PXE is the voice of Milford, but N1BUG IS the voice of Milo for sure!

To finance my ham radio habit, I have been selling off old vacuum tubes on EBay. Who knew?  Ruggedized 6SN7s go for $100. Anything that says Western Electric is expensive.  My old stash of 417As is a gold mine. Two or three  audiophool tubes will finance a UHF transverter.

Dave K1WHS