Re: [VHFcontesting] Why are no VE1s on 222?

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>, 222Activity@groups.io
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why are no VE1s on 222?
From: Terry Price <terry@directivesystems.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 07:56:50 -0400
Folks,

You kinda get out of VHF what you put in to it. Look at what Dave has done
for 222 in just the last year. Every Tuesday night there is tons of
activity, probably more than you see on 2m. My new QTH still under
construction is at 2500' ASL and I'm learning about the challenges of
having antennas survive in high winds and ice. We had a bad ice event in
late January that ripped a 2m H frame off one of my towers and wrecked my
elevation rotors on my 222 and 432 arrays. Not being at the site except on
weekends, trying to build our new house and keep Directive Systems cranking
out antennas for everyone has been a challenge but if Dave who is many
years older than I am can climb 100' towers by himself then I can certainly
climb up on my roof (yes the one I fell off of 2 years ago and broke my
back!!) and fix my antennas. Dave is like 480 miles from me and except for
this last Tuesday, we can work on phone. He is also helping to get 222
activity by converting a bunch of Larcan 1.5kw amps, one of which I've been
running for almost 10 years. W6PQL sells complete pallets for 222, just add
50V, some relays and a LPF and you are QRO!! There are still FT736's and
IC-375's around, K3SK is running a 375. Q5signal has transverters and I
don't accept that interfacing a transverter is that big of a deal. Used
DEMI transverters pop up now and then and there are the cheap transverters
on ebay from Ukraine (I believe), maybe not the greatest but it gets you on
the air.

You can't expect to get on with an omni or a 5 ele beam and 25w and expect
to work 500 mi, it's not 40m with FT8!! This past Tuesday which was the
sprint, I ran a single FO16, 1500w and worked 40 Q's and 24 grids in about
3 hours. There is a lot of activity in New England and I bet they can work
the folks in northern Maine and our friends in VE land. I think I have 3 or
4 VE3's in my log and I know there was a VE2 in FN25 on but 600 miles is a
bit of a stretch. I know a lot of folks have an aversion to digital but get
on the ON4KST chat room, figure out how to get your computer interfaced to
your radio for WSJT. We all grew up with rotary dialed telephones and we've
all accepted smart phones so adding FT8 or Q65 or MSK144 to your radio
toolbox isn't that big of a stretch.

If you need technical advise on getting a transverter interfaced to a radio
and you can't figure it out, call me!!

My fingers hurt from typing so I'll shut up!!

Terry Price - W8ZN
Directive Systems and Engineering
703-754-3876