Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 MHz Aurora Report

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 MHz Aurora Report
From: Paul N1BUG FN55mf <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:12:07 -0400
Thanks Dave,

It is as I suspected. I opened my eyes (sort of!) at 0150Z and decided to just take a quick look to see if anything really interesting was happening. I discovered aurora on 6 meters and made my first QSO at 0155Z. So I missed the 222 activity! This is not surprising since I have found over the years best aurora signals generally happen in the late afternoon through early evening, say 4 to 7 PM. It then usually fades for a while and re-intensifies later, but by then a lot of people have shut down.

I have no solution for the problem of evening availability here, but I sure hate missing a good aurora! It has been many years since I worked aurora on 222 (or 432, where I have insufficient power these days).

73,
Paul N1BUG