Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 MHz Aurora Report

To: Paul N1BUG FN55mf <paul@n1bug.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 MHz Aurora Report
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 12:12:37 -0400
Hi Mr BUG,

I noted that contacts were being made on 50 and then 144. I walked up to the shack around 23:00 UT and fired up the 222 gear. Starting at about 2345 UT,  I was answered by VA3ELE who was running just 25 watts on CW.  He had a good signal strength of 55A. A few minutes later, I worked his neighbor VE3DS who runs more power and was very loud at 57A.   Another station worked was WX3K in PA, who also had a good signal. That was the first ever 222 aurora contact for WX3K! I hope there are many more.  I worked WX3K between 00:00 and 01:00. Best DX heard was N4PZ in Chicago, EN52 at 950 miles, but Steve could not hear me. He was a good 55A at 00:44 UT and again later at about 00:57 UT.   The band dropped out shortly after 0100UT. When things died down after 0115 UT I walked home in the dark. I was sure that the aurora would come back around 11 PM, but having a shack 1/2 mile away covered in snow prevented any more monitoring.

I figured out a good plan for a pair of 16 el yagis. I am going to fix them at 300 degrees as an AU detector.

Dave K1WHS