[VHFcontesting] 222 AU

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 AU
From: Dana <ve3dss@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 12:28:15 -0400
The aurora was the first huge one in years here…

It hit on 6 first with VE3EN Fn25 CQ right on schedule for the shock front to
hit us…
But what was assumed to be a weak AU turned into a monster as signals grew…
K1HTV in FM17 said my signal was huge at his QTH…

I checked 144  and 222 but no one around…

Finally found Tony K8ZR on 144 and peaked up on the hot spot which was moving
around
as usual..
Then about 10 mins later Peter ELE posted a vid of Dave WHS so I went back
Up there and Dave was super loud, we worked easily. Dave was LOUD for a couple
of hours on 222.

I expected more guys to get on but did manage to work N8PUM up in EN66 for a
new VUCC grid.
Also heard W8PU in EM84 but lost him as the AU shifted west a bit…caught bits
of N4PZ in EN52 but
for some reason could not pull him out, while he was trying with Dave.

So went back to 6 and worked Connie K5CM in EM25 at 1600 km.

We had 8 hours of AU here…

On a side note, back in the day I used to set my rotor stop E, so I could cover
N for AU
but with so few AU last cycles I set the stop on the new rotor at N with no
over travel….hmmm
gotta re program it  for over travel about 10 deg each side… HIHI

Lets hope next week brings more as the back side starts to come around…hope for
more
guys to fire up on 222.

73 Dana VE3DS (VE3DSS)
FN03