[VHFcontesting] Dave's Station is OPEN again. Don't forget 222 Nite on T

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Dave's Station is OPEN again. Don't forget 222 Nite on Tuesday.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 23:31:07 -0400
The snow has been melting fast and I managed to get the truck all the way up the hill to my shack today. (Monday)  On Saturday, it was impossible. The truck got stuck in  the snow drifts even with 4WD.  So I celebrated when the road was clear, and took a K3 up to populate the 10M/6M position and also drag my new and humongous 300 AH Lithium battery up there and plug it in to the existing solar panels. The panels are two Evergreen solar panels made before the company went "belly up". Of course this was just after getting a huge gift of money from the Federal government.  Anyway, they will produce about 450 watts when the Sun is out and they are busy charging the new battery up to full charge. My plan is to enlarge the Solar collection system and I have two new and bigger panels that each produce 455 watts for a total of around 900 watts or double the capacity of the old panels.  Not sure how to install them, but I think they will be ground mounted with a frame that will allow up to four panels.  That gets awfully big for a 12 volt system, so I am still thinking this through, but my plan is to allow for permanent electrical power up there to allow remote operation from home year round.  I might need 2 X 300 AH batteries to accomplish this task.   All this work just because it is a good location!! Ham radio can be a lot like owning a boat or an airplane!!

My hope is to eventually run a solid state 500 watt output amplifier on 144 and 222 off of battery power.  Everything is expensive, but one thing most people overlook is the cost of a charge controller that takes the Solar panel voltage and converts it to 12 VDC charging current. To get maximum benefit you need a MPPT controller. (Maximum Power Point Tracking) They are expensive, and I have to upgrade mine to handle the additional charging currents of the new panels. An MPPT controller is basically a programmable DC-DC converter that searches out the best voltage that will deliver the most power.  Mine currently will supply 45 amps. I think I need to add another 60 Amp model at a minimum!

I hope to be on 222 MHz again for Tuesday night starting at about 2300 UT.   The plan is to be on 222.100 on CW and SSB and then move off the calling frequency as activity shows up. Last week I think I made 25 contacts and followed that up with some 222 MHz aurora QSOs on Thursday night.  On Thursday I quit when the AU died down after 9 PM. I did not want to run my big diesel generator in hopes of a possible recurrence.  I think the aurora was back later after about 0230 UT and I missed it. Now that I have the Lithium battery installed, I can monitor the band without the genset running. That will be a big help.

The Hepburn Map does not look promising for Tuesday night. Even the Gulf is not so hot. Don't let that slow you down though. The activity levels all winter have been great and many contacts have been made out over 300 mile paths by lots of folks with dead band and wintertime condx. Please make an attempt to get on and be sure to log in to the ON4KST Chat page     (144/432 Region 2) if you might need to set up a sked and have someone look for you. Activity usually lasts between 23:00 and about 01:00 or a bit later as conditions and activity warrants.

73

Dave K1WHS