Re: [VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@w1ve.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 22:35:01 -0400
I was the main two meter op at W2SZ.   I am not opposed to FT8 — it is an
advantage to those with no other advantage.   That said, it is huge time
suck, where SSB and CW QSOs can take as little as 10 seconds.

I decided to do no FT8 during the first 8 hours of the contest.  For us, it
worked well… I was the focal point to passing ops to other bands.  We went
to EME and meteor scatter overnight.  on Sunday, we did FT8 in the morning,
we did brisk business.   Our best DX was 658 miles.   PSKReporter had us
-12dB at KA9FOX in WI, at 908 miles, but Scott was nowhere to be found.

The biggest trouble with FT8 is the lack of a decent way to pass people
efficiently, especially with rovers.

I did not die doing FT8, I just didn’t rely on it as much.   Such is a
luxury of being at 3489’.   Thanks for all that called in, and see you next
time.

After 30+ years of doing this, we are a long way from the 400-600 QSOs we
used to make on 2m.   That is amazing, as 90% of the amateur licensees are
Technician class these days.  Either way, I still get a thrill over working
guys 300 miles away who are running 10w, or EME, msk144 or even FT8.

73

Gerry W1VE