Re: [VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?
From: Mark Spencer <markspencer@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 20:22:34 +0000
One more thought..   In my experience there does seem to be a general lack of
patience on the part of some newcomers to VHF and up weak signal operating and
contesting.

Some HF operators have commented to me they can’t stand the low qso rate of
typical VHF contests (at least in my part of VE7 Land.)  Others have commented
to me they don’t like or don’t have the patience for weak signals, others have
complained about having to use horizontal antennas etc….  I could probably go
on but will stop now.

These days I typically focus my energies on helping  and or encouraging those
who are at least able to figure out on their own when the major contests are
and have at least a basic grasp of the concepts if not the contest rules.  They
seem to be more motivated in my experience and seem more likely to participate
going forwards.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ