Re: [VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?

To: Dave <kdcarlso@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?
From: Josef 'Jeff' Sipek <jeffpc@josefsipek.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 17:20:57 -0400
> Pretty much all of the HF designs today include 6m and a 9700 is really a
> deal compared to the "old days." Three bands, satellite, and a digital mode
> for $1400ish.. Q5 also has a 5 band transverter for $2K, which while an
> investment is certainly an inexpensive way to hit the ground running.

The Q5 transverter looks really nice, but it doesn't help with the "new ham,
unsure which part of the hobby will be fun long-term" aspect of it.  That's
what I was trying to get at.  The 9700 also seems nice, but at least in my
head it is a specialized radio - not one I'd expect new hams to consider.
Once the person decided that they are going to stick with it, then spending
money on it becomes easier (but is a completely different scenario).

Obviously, there isn't any one single thing that's making VHF/UHF "dead". :(

Jeff (AC1JR)