Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 00:03:47 -0400
I got chased off the hill, by approaching storms. I was watching them approach and pulled the plug when they were about 15 miles away. I actually quit 222 around 00:30 UT as horrendous rain static made reception very difficult. It got up to over S9 along with lightning crashes.  I worked about 12 stations and apologize for ducking out, but I did not want to get caught in a downpour etc.  Had great signals from N2SLO who has his antenna up in the air now, along with K1DS from his downstairs balcony. That was just before the rain static started up!! I could hear signals only on my 222 LVA. I had real trouble with W9KXI due to the horrendous noise. I ended up calling him on the big yagi, but had to listen on the LVA which is down about 5 db in Al's direction. There was even a bit of rain static on the lower antenna. It was not fun. Condx were way down for sure.

Hopefully Wednesday night on 432 will be more user friendly. I hope K1DS has a safe and enjoyable trip down South and thanks for making noise on 222 this Summer.

73

Dave K1WHS