Re: [VHFcontesting] FT4 mode

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT4 mode
From: Jay RM <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 17:24:34 -0600
ARRL DX does not have an "automatic filled" exchange unless you have a
pretty good database of stations you intend to work.  Now, CQWW is pretty
much automatic.  Granted, a VHF contest does have a slightly harder
exchange, by virtue of having to type 4 characters instead of 2 or 3.

ARRL Sweepstakes has the 'best' exchange in my opinion as there are at
least two fields that can't be filled, even by a database - the number and
power category.  A excellent run rate, IMO, for SS Phone is around the 200
mark, although it should be possible to push the 4/minute rate.  I have
data from years of SS for a multi-op that was always competitive for 1st
place if anybody really wants to know what a "good rate" is for that
contest.

What I wanted to get across with my earlier post was what exactly a 'good
rate' is.  Unless you're exposed to the guys who win constantly, I don't
think many people really understand what "fast" is.  Probably the fastest
guys in terms of QSO's per hour are the experienced DXpeditioners, but,
arguably, that doesn't really count here in contest world, since they're
really only logging straight calls and there is no log check of accuracy at
the end of the day.  I've done a couple stints in the chair during a
DXpedition and the only data I can recall about QSO/hour is "lots...and
then even more" - it's kind of a Zen thing - you work 'em so fast sometimes
you don't even realize what you're doing.  When I did it, we didn't use a
computer - the log was all by hand and yes, it was all legible.

But, that said, even the best are limited by what the band will do.  If
there is nobody to work, the casual guy may just have the same rate as the
top guns.

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner