Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Contest Branch makes online certificates availa

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Contest Branch makes online certificates available
From: Tom Holmes <tholmes@woh.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 16:50:19 -0400
I don't believe that 3830 has anything to do with ARRL; it's just a place to
post your claimed score publicly supported by a separate entity.
Frankly, I don't get all the griping about the league 'diluting' the value of a
certificate. It documents what our station has accomplished over the years and
shows whether we've improved relative to other stations. The published
standings do that too, but my book of certificates makes it easy to review (and
brag a little when I have a chance to show it to others).
It's just a piece of paper and if you get one too, it really doesn't change the
value of the one I earned. They don't have any monetary value, for heavens sake!
As for criticizing the league for making them available on line, I'd say that's
an improvement since I have sometimes waited nearly a year for the paper to
arrive. This looks like a serious effort to improve the turnaround time and I'm
sure it saves a lot on postage.
So I say "good for them" for stepping up to a long standing problem.