Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Contest Branch makes online certificates availa

To: "Kevin H. Phillips" <kh-phillips@9-5usa.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Contest Branch makes online certificates available
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 15:37:59 -0500
On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Kevin H. Phillips
<kh-phillips@9-5usa.org> wrote:

> day (antennas too low is the main thing).  But, I do usually try to submit
> my logs no matter how many contacts I make because I hope it helps someone
> else.  I can't find it right now but I received a certificate about a year
> ago for the winner of a 222 contest (I think) in the entire STX section.  I
> had two contacts and my score was 10, or something like that.  It was as big
> a shock to me as anyone else.  Don't shoot the messenger!

But you at least won the section.  Yes, you were surely the only one
in the category -- I've done that myself (SO3B in the June, I think, a
few years back).  Now they're saying EVERY participant gets a
certificate even if they didn't win an incredibly-narrowly-sliced
category.  It was bad enough that there were nearly as many categories
as entrants before but now they've saved themselves the trouble of
coming up with newer, narrower categories - everyone gets one.

The category thing is not new.  When I started playing in the November
SS (HF) 25 years ago, there was only QRP, Low power, High power, and
Multiop.  Then they added School.  And then Unlimited.  And now there
is a Multi Low and Multi High and Unlimited Low and Unlimited High - 8
categories now versus 4.  How did that make stuff better?  I'm sure
per-band categories are next.