Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia, Confusion and Infusion

To: beamar <beamar@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia, Confusion and Infusion
From: Jack W6NF <vhfplus@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:01:08 -0500
On 9/19/2013 8:31 AM, beamar wrote:
When Six is open, you don't need much. But, the gain of a yagi will get you
through a pile up. When I went from a three element yagi to a five element, I
did  better working into the Caribbean, Central and South America because the
longer yagi would attenuate all the domestic signals off the back of the
antennna
Going from a 3 to a 5 element yagi shouldn't provide *that* much additional f/b ratio. Checking on various manufacturers I find a typical difference in f/b from 1 to 4db. For example, the M2 3 element yagi has a spec'ed f/b ratio of 20db and their 5 element yagis are 21db. Only when you get to a long yagi (7 elements or more) do you get to 23db+ f/b ratio.

Other manufacturers often specify about a 4db difference going from a 3 or 4 element to a 5 element yagi.

--
Jack, W6NF/VE4