Re: [VHFcontesting] [WSVHF] [Mw] VUAC Seeks Input

To: dmcintyre@att.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [WSVHF] [Mw] VUAC Seeks Input
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:30:39 -0800 (PST)
--- On Wed, 12/2/09, Dexter McIntyre W4DEX <dmcintyre@att.net> wrote:

> Even 1 KM with laser is to easy.

Agree, 1 KM is not a great enough distance..

> Why not require both non mechanical modulation plus some
> sort of electrical detection on receive?

One item that was pointed out on a regional VHF discussion list with regards to
a simple "electrical detection" requirement for RX is that it opens the door
for the use of night vision goggles as an RX. Do people think that 'off the
shelf' night vision goggles is really an RX, ... or not??? That approach for a
RX is arguably still a flashing of flashlights excercise. So I think the
wording may need to be carefully crafted to consider that possible angle of it
as well.

In general I get the impression from the various lists I'm monitoring that most
every agrees with the same end goals for the 'light rules'. But what I also see
is a struggle for any one to come up with wording that truly captures the
general sentiment without 'the rule' becoming detrimental to experimenting..

Duane
N9DG