Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover rules and criticisms

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover rules and criticisms
From: "Bruce Richardson" <w9fz@w9fz.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:14:47 -0500
> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:35:36 -0700
> From: "Jim Forsyth" <mail@jimforsyth.com>
> Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover rules and criticisms
> To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
>
> Well I think the 100Q rover to rover limit is counter
> productive, I would
> like to see that gone.
>
> I had a great time pack roving in the August and September

> contests. In
> September we had a pack of nine ten band rovers and
visited
> eleven grids.
> You can see some pictures here: http://www.packrovers.com
>
> Jim, AF6O

My question is posed to Jim, but any of you are free to
supply an answer. I went to the packroving website. You guys
have been smoking me score wise ever since you started.
Pack roving HAS to consist of MANY trivial distance QSOs.
And it has to consist of orchestrated activity.  Would you
disagree?

If you'll visit http://w9fz.com/ham/w9fzuhf09.html
You'll see the path lengths that I worked in the UHF contest
back in August.  None of the rover-to-rover Q's were trivial
distance and none of them were orchestrated.  I have an
opinion as to what type of ham radio activity (pack roving
vs non-pack roving) is better for the future of our hobby,
but that's not what we are discussing here.

So my final question is how and why should we be in the same
Rover category and competing against each other?  Pack
roving behavior will ALWAYS smoke the rover behavior I
display.  Please don't give me, "it's a contest do what you
have to do to win". I don't want to pack rove. I don't want
to legislate against your fun but pack roving seems like
"group self-gratification in public". Knock yourself out and
self-gratify yourselves but let's not call it a competition.

I think AA5JG's original question is well posed.

I'm working on graphics of my KS and NE rove (Sept VHF).
Sure I went there to rove, but I didn't "group
self-gratify". I worked lots of rover-to-rover Q's over
non-trivial distances and without any orchestration.

I still think the rover rules are broken when "group
self-gratification" beats traditional roving every time.  I
don't mind getting beaten by W9SNR/R in the Sept contest
just passed. He got 90k points because he was in the
"opening". I wasn't in the opening, worked my butt off and
got 71k. I'm happy with that.

73
Bruce Richardson W9FZ/R