Re: [VHFcontesting] Changes to ARRL VHF Contest Rules

To: w8zn@comcast.net,wa4kxy@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Changes to ARRL VHF Contest Rules
From: Ed Parish K1EP <k1ep@mgef.org>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 13:35:28 -0400
Terry -
It's always been the policy that you can submit a log and declare
your class that is a subset of that log.  In ARRL DX if I start the
contest on the low bands, but Saturday morning decide that I am
really having an outstanding 20M performance, I might decide to
submit my log as single band 20M.  Do I edit out all the other
QSOs?  No.  I set my category as SB20.  Same for this
contest.  Submit your entire log, declare your class as
Limited.  Some may call that "category shopping" and there probably
is a fine line.  The recent sentiment is that although it is not
against the rules to watch the 3830 list to pick a category, but it
is not ethical.  Say I enter the contest with my 100W radio and have
a fantastic contest.  I see that my score might win High Power in my
division.  Do I submit my log at the last minute as High Power?  If
you go out as a limited Rover with the intent on entering Limit Rover
but bring along another band to try out and submit the entire log (5
bands) as Limited Rover, I don't have a problem with that.  If you
bring 6M through 24G and find out that there was some great Eskip on
6M, tropo on the other bands and that your lower 4 bands had a great
score and submit your log as Limited Rover, it still wouldn't be
against the rules, but would probably draw some comments that weren't
flattering.  If there are rules, there will always be loopholes.