Re: [VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 72, Issue 5

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 72, Issue 5
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:40:56 -0800
this is a step in the right dirrection and the ARRL should take note how honest
competetors put their logs up for view. They shoul at some point, make it a
requirement to have logs posted as an entrant and those who remain private
could be a check log> From: vhfcontesting-request@contesting.com> Subject:
VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 72, Issue 5> To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com> Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 09:00:10 -0800> > Send VHFcontesting mailing list submissions
to> vhfcontesting@contesting.com> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to>
vhfcontesting-request@contesting.com> > You can reach the person managing the
list at> vhfcontesting-owner@contesting.com> > When replying, please edit your
Subject line so it is more specific> than "Re: Contents of VHFcontesting
digest..."> > > Today's Topics:> > 1. Re: Type N crimpers? (Keith Morehouse)> 2.
  Making ARRL VHF Contest Logs Public (VHF Contest Logs Repository)> > >
----------------------------------------------------------------------> >
Message: 1> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:14:17 -0800 (PST)> From: Keith Morehouse
<w9rm@yahoo.com>> Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Type N crimpers?> To:
vhfcontesting@contesting.com> Message-ID:
<949480.35026.qm@web65405.mail.ac4.yahoo.com>> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=iso-8859-1> > VE6CPP wrote:> > Only been at this a year or so Jack.. so
I am still> > considered a 'Newbie' myself..! I have learned a lot> > from the
Pro's..(as I call them guys..) and still> > learning! I was told to stay away
from the Crimp> > Type.. and go with Clamp Type myself! A lot of> money> > for
a tool you may only use a few times. > > The commercial cable assembly
manufacturers almost> 100% use crimp connectors and they are building cables>
to service provider and radio OEM specs. These cables> must pass tests for
insertion loss, return loss,> connector p
 ull and sometimes phase matching. As K1WHS> noted in a previous post, modern
crimp sleeve units> are probably BETTER then the clamp connectors.> > But, you
DO need a tool. I bought this one for under> $30 for my LMR600 - they may have
one for 400, too.> > http://www.hyperlinktech.com/item.aspx?id=877> > I also
use THIS for cable prep, which I picked up on> E-Bay for something like $15:> >
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/item.aspx?id=882> > Crimp LMR600 connectors (male
and female) are> available on E-Bay all the time. Last time I bought a> bunch,
I think they averaged out to something like $2> each. They were *official*
Times Microwave> connectors, too. LMR600 prices are unusually low> because your
average 'ham' doesn't know what they are> and can't use them - just like prices
for ANYTHING> with a 7-16 DIN connector. Ever seen what a Heliax 1> 5/8
connector can be had for when it has a DIN> connector vs a N connector ?? What
a steal.> > Jay W9RM> EN52rb> > > > > > > -----------
 -------------------> > Message: 2> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:47:59 -0500> From:
"VHF Contest Logs Repository" <logs@vhfscores.info>> Subject: [VHFcontesting]
Making ARRL VHF Contest Logs Public> To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Message-ID:> <a9fa1d670812040847w73e739c1m3b6764f74890c686@mail.gmail.com>>
mentioned in an earlier email by Terry (W8ZN / ex-K8ISK) the Grid> Pirates will
be posting all their past and future ARRL VHF contest> logs online. The entire
group believes that fully opening the> reporting of all contest data is the
best way encourage more activity,> analytical interest and insight into this
exciting sport. We also> hope it will to put to rest some of the conjecture and
accusations> regarding chosen operating tactics and practices used during
radio> sport competitions. It is with these thoughts in mind that we look to>
you to ultimately make this open reporting common place in the spor
 t.> Please write your respective VUAC representative (>
http://www.arrl.org/contests/vuac.html ) if you feel strongly about> this topic
and encourage the ARRL to take on this task themselves.> > In the meantime, in
an effort to assist in the gathering and> displaying of ours and others VHF
contest logs, we will be collecting> logs from willing participants for the
cause. For those who can't or> don't wish to host their own publicly viewable
log data, we will make> a repository accessible via the web. For the moment we
will be> leveraging the site www.vhfscores.info for displaying VHF contest>
logs. To submit a log for addition to this site please send them to>
logs@vhfscores.info - we prefer Cabrillo format, but in a pinch we> will take
any VHF contest log data and will convert ourselves, in an> effort to get as
much historic and future contest log data online.> Have an old hand written,
scanned log from the 70s? Send it too! For> those that wish to host their own
data, plea
 se send us a direct URL> link to your logs, so that we can post on our site to
ensure you get> maximum exposure.> > Please visit www.vhfscores.info and give
us your comments, questions> and/or suggestions for the site. This is an early
work in progress and> we are looking to make this as useful as possible for the
entire VHF> contesting community. Expect to start seeing the first logs up in
the> next week or two.> > 73,> > The VHF Contest Logs Repository>
logs@vhfscores.info> http://www.vhfscores.info/> > >
VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 72, Issue 5>