Re: [VHFcontesting] A reasonable approach to the grid circlingproblem...

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A reasonable approach to the grid circlingproblem....
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:38:07 -0800 (PST)
First...I understand your play at true comedic sarcasm, but I'm unsure that
others did.  So, please read on...

--- On Fri, 11/21/08, John Geiger <aa5jg@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  In fact, despite failing to meet the objective of the
> contest (first rule in each contest),
>
> From the ARRL website:
> Object: To work as many amateur stations in as many
> different 2 degrees x 1 degree grid squares as possible
> using authorized frequencies above 50 MHz. Foreign stations
> work W/VE amateurs only.
>
> So, the following activites (during contest time) would be
> in violation of this objective and the spirit of the
> contest:
Everything that you cited (Taking time out to sleep, Taking a bathroom break,
Leaving the radio for a while to see the XYL, spend time with the kids, do some
house work, etc.,  Having less than all possible bands, Tuning off the radio
due to a thunderstorm)...

... play to the "as possible" clause.

I stand by my belief that one of two things are evident:

1. Failure to play with THIS event's objectives in mind DQ's you -or-
2. By failing to play with this event's objectives in mind you AREN'T playing
in THIS event. Go play in your own event and don't force the sponsor to make
accommodations for you.

Ev, W2EV