[VHFcontesting] Re: Cross Mode communication

To: k3lfo@mddsg.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Cross Mode communication
From: dpease@adams.net
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:10:19 -0500
One of my pet peeves about Icom radios is using the lower sideband in CW mode. I wish all the manufacture's would do cw just the same as SSB, above 10 MHz (including VHF+) use USB. My 706 is a real pain to work cross mode.

Danny

Jim Erickson writes:

Mike,

Interesting question! MY PET PEEVE! When I am on CW in a contest, I can
not copy an SSB station calling me. All it is is interference from the
opposite side band at that point. My receiver is tuned 500 Hz off my
transmit frequency to copy the CW (this is an ICOM). Now with a Kenwood
It isn't as bad a problem because the Kenwoods use USB to copy CW. However with both there is a matter of the offset freq as well as narrow
CW filters.

Biggest objection is that we get on CW to pull out the week ones! If I
can copy you FB on SSB, you are not a week one. Why not wait until you
hear us on PH to call? Or at lease wait to hear if I get a reply then
give a long enough call to switch to SSB and tune you in.

Just one of the frustrations of VHF contesting .... 73,

Jim K3LFO

What is the feeling on working cross mode in contests when the rules
permit
it? Such as answering a CW CQ on SSB, where, of course, the CW CQ occurs
in
the phone portion of the band. I do not have a problem with it, but
generally refrain from cross mode as I often pick up the same stations
using
the same mode another time. But once in a while I miss one. The reasons
for
cross mode vary--I'm driving, key is plugged into another rig (and the key
jacks are always in the back!), misplaced the 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor,I
forgot
my key, or just don't feel like CW at the moment.--Mike, WV2ZOW

Danny Pease
dpease@adams.net

Sent using Adams WebMail --- http://webmail.adams.net
Adams NetWorks -- Keeping you well-connected worldwide!