Re: [VHFcontesting] Cross Mode communication

To: Dan <n9rla@yahoo.com>, mclarson@rcc.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Cross Mode communication
From: Ed K1EP <k1ep@mgef.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 06:43:29 -0400
It happens a few times a contest on 6M to me.  I find it easier to just answer
on SSB.  After all, the calling station has copied you on SSB and has decided
that he is weak enough that he has to use CW.  IF he can copy your SSB, there
isn't an immediate need for you to switch to CW.  Sometimes after making the
initial reply (by gaining your attention using CW), the weak station will
attempt to switch back to SSB.  I also find it a mild hassle to switch the
radio to CW and remembering where the offset is.   If not done right, you will
be out of his passband.  On the other hand, when I am the weak station and
don't make a QSO on SSB, I will try CW.  In that case, I will set the second
VFO to the correct frequency with offset ahead of time so that I can easily
switch to CW if necessary.  My most memorable cross mode contact was actually
not in a contest.  Back in the mid-70's, I was doing EME on 432 CW with a
couple of others when the responding station (WA6SRI I think, now W6SRI) asked
us to standby and then came back on SSB!