[VHFcontesting] Grid circling time limit problem....possiblesolution.

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Grid circling time limit problem....possiblesolution.
From: Fred Lass <felasstic@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:12:40 -0800 (PST)
Hi All;

Grid circling may not be prevented by the suggestion that rovers must stay in a
grid for a specific length of time.

Consider four rovers at four corner location, rover 1 in grid XX01, rover 2 in
XX02, rover 3 in XX03 and rover 4 in XX04.  At the start of the contest rover 1
talks to rovers 2, 3, and 4 on all the bands.  When those QSO's are complete,
rover 1 moves to XX02 while rover 2 talks to rovers 3 and 4, then waits for
rover 1's legal window in grid XX02.  Rover 2 then moves to grid XX03 while
rover 3 works rover 4 and 1, waits for rover 2's legal window to work him on
all bands.  This process continues until all bands and grids are covered.  If
each rover has 6 bands and the time limit is 15 minutes, 96 QSO's are made for
each rover in a bit more than an hours time without breaking the rules.

A possible solution would be to limit a rovers' QSOs with other rovers to 50%
or less.  I don't believe that this would hurt any conventional rover.

I do not see a problem with a large M/M group sending a microwave rover to a
distant grid square.  The technical challenge of such QSO's are far greater
than random VHF or UHF contacts.

73,  Fred  K2TR